Download and install the ff:
Virtualbox - https://www.virtualbox.org/
CentOS - https://www.centos.org/download/
I am using CentOS 7. You can also download the minimal version here:
- Click New in VirtualBox
- Name your VM anything you want and click Next.
- Set the amount of RAM you'd like to allocate for this VM. Take note of the recommended memory size.
- Next screen will ask you to create a VM. Select Create a virtual hard disk now and click create.
- Select the type of VM hard disk. Usually it is VDI.
- Click next with Dynamically allocated selected.
- Set the size of your hard disk then click create after.
- Select your VM then click Setting on the upper left.
- Click storage. Then in the optical drive choose the minimal iso you downloaded, then click OK.
- On the upper left, click start.
- Choose Install CentOS 7 then enter
- Choose your language.
- Set up below info with your own preferences, then click Begin installation.
- Set up your root password and and create a user. Reboot after.
- After rebooting, you will be directed to the screen below. Type your username and password. Usually, to be able to enter the GUI you will type, startx. But since we are using the minimal version. There is no GUI desktop installed.
- To install the GNOME Desktop type in below command.
yum -y groups install "GNOME Desktop"
- Also, don’t forget to setup your network . Then save. (:wq!)
- Type startx then setup just like screenshots below.
- CentOS 7 is finally installed in your VM . Go ahead and explore!